Lauren’s List is inspired by digest and lifestyle posts. I ♥ lists! This periodic meme is my opportunity to talk about what’s going in my life lately and highlights what I’m currently digging or find inspiring.
This has been a bitterly cold week in the Midwest and the perfect weather to shut up indoors with some good books, great music, and engaging apps … if only I didn’t have a day job! But seriously, it’s been a productive week.
Some of the highlights:
- I made time to sit down and listen to an hour-long episode of Write Pack Radio talking about writing resolutions for the New Year.
- My new Erin Condren accessories arrived — the last of my gift card that I won last fall from a contest over at Organized Jen (thank you again, Jen!)
- In what’s become a bit of an annual tradition, we had a pretzel day. I get these Auntie Anne kits from the store and add the yeast to warm water, let the dough rise, roll it out and shape into pretzel form, and bake. Super-yummy!
- We found out that the car battery failed a test. Why is this in the highlights? Because I am so, SO grateful the car place checked on this and we didn’t discover it the hard way on the road. My husband went in for an oil change and left with an oil change and a new battery. #grateful
- I’m working on trying to devote more time to writing — be it freelance projects, blogging, writing short stories, or doing volunteer work. I feel more complete when I’m working on something writing-related and I think that it crosses over into other areas of my life too.
What I’m Watching
My husband introduced me to Twin Peaks as it was available on Netflix and I enjoy binge-watching TV shows. We’re currently watching the second season and it’s characters like Andy, Lucy and Dick that have me cracking up. Tommy, I’d like to whack over the head with a broom and knock some sense into him — did the town doctor drop Tommy as a baby? He’s not that bright. Denise, a new character in season two, is another favorite of mine.
Celebrity Apprentice is a guilty pleasure. Enough said.
Agent Carter…I really want to like you. I like that you’re independent, self-assured, svelte (unlike Joss Whedon heroines normally), and you’ve got a good head on your shoulders. Sure, I get that you’re the kind of dame to stand up to a fat, sexist slob. But why can’t you also have the class to object to fellow agents using torture tactics to make someone talk? My husband and I agree: bad form, Agent.
P.s. Are you certain Mr. Jarvis has a Mrs. Jarvis in the picture? He’s scrumptious to be sure (in sort of a Marvel-couldn’t-afford-Benedict-Cumberbatch sort of way), but make him earn your trust.
What I’m Reading
This week I got a couple of new releases for review:
I’ve just finished “Miracle” and it’s great! Definitely worth the read. I’m excited about “Forbidden” and can’t wait to start that soon.
Look for reviews for both titles on my blog later this year! You can be among the first to hear my reviews if you become a member of the Historical Novel Society. Learn more here.
Book covers from GoodReads.
What I’m Playing
Adventure Escape: Manor Murder
By: Haiko Games
Rating: All Ages
Detective Emma Grey is invited to dine at Wickham Manor when her car breaks down outside, but little did she expect murder before the main course!
Fun, engaging, free, more details to follow in a review (coming soon!) Yes, I’m starting video game reviews!!!
Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink (Full)
By: Artifex Mundi
Rating: All Ages
Dr. Ambrose Ink and his clockwork falcon, Matthew, are attempting to uncover the source for a series of catastrophic earthquakes and their search leads them to Hochwald Castle, the home of the Barber family.
Gorgeous hand-drawn graphics, steampunk-themed adventure, more thoughts and a full review coming soon!
A note about these posts:
This first post went out on a Monday. These posts won’t always come out on the same day during the week but I expect it’ll trend towards a weekend over a weekday. My agenda planner happens to start on a Monday as the beginning of the week so that’s how it went this time around!