Michael Chabon once said, “Man makes plans … and God laughs.” A bit of a variation on a Yiddish proverb. Only God knows what the future has in store for each of us, especially for a Midwest Maven like me, but here’s a list of some things that I’d be interested in doing if the opportunity ever arose.
A big shout-out to the lovely Lisamarie who posted her Life List on her website, PaperandGlam.com, which emboldened me to share my own.
- Attend Pentecost (indoors) at the Pantheon in Rome.
- Be baptised in the Jordan River.
- Tour the Crayola factory.
- Watch a Broadway show in NYC.
- Visit the dollhouse exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago (Midwest activity!).
- Have a singing role in a musical performance.
- Climb the pyramids.
- Eat a breakfast alfresco on a balcony somewhere in the Mediterranean.
Volunteer at an archaeological site.(Cahokia Mounds, August 7th, 2010)
- Explore Petra by horseback riding.
- Go spelunking.
- Zipline through a rain forest.
- Walk across a bridge over a waterfall.
- Publish a novella or novel.
- Place a horse bet.
- Attend the Kentucky Derby.
- Go watch the horse races at Fairgrounds Park (Midwest activity!)
- Relax in the hot springs at the Cotton Castle, Turkey.
- Watch the ‘Running of the Bulls’ in Pamplona.
- Photograph an Aurora Borealis.
Visit a bluebell wood in season.(Shaw Nature Reserve, April 17th, 2014)
- Go stormchasing!
- Hike to Machu Picchu.
- Selfie with the heads on Easter Island.
- Tour the Holy Land.
- Take the Amtrak on a jaunt.
- Walk the Ted Jones Trail (Midwest activity!).
- Attend Book Expo America.
- Attend a “meet” with fellow gamers across the pond.
- Successfully keep a houseplant from dying.
- Ride in a hot air balloon.
- Learn archery.
- Learn how piano chords work and be able to do one.
- Memorize all ’12 Days of Christmas’. Invariably, we go Christmas caroling and my voice trails off the higher up the list we go…
- Become a wine connoisseur.
- Sail down the Nile.
- Visit Stonehenge.
- Travel to Italy.
- Travel to France.
- Camp out at Ayers Rock and watch the sun rise or set.
- Write daily.
- Earn an honorable mention (or place) in a writing competition.
- Get paid for writing work.
- Write a review/blurb that is included on the back cover of someone else’s book.
- Write a review that is published in a major journal (e.g. Library Journal or Publisher’s Weekly).
- Write a review and have a blurb of it featured in the “Advanced Praise/Reviews” pages inside of someone else’s book.
- Become a member of a major writing/book organization (e.g. JASNA, Historical Novel Society).
Speak in public at a workshop event.(St. Louis Writers Guild, November 2nd, 2013).
- Publish an e-book.
- Successfully paint a single word in Chinese Calligraphy.
- Visit a lavender farm. Take photos! Pick gorgeous in-season lavender.
- Memorize a poem.